30th Anniversary Bang on a Can Marathon @ Brooklyn Museum
In our 30th year, Bang on a Can is committed more than ever to an increasing and inclusive worldwide community dedicated to innovation through music – a world where ideas flow freely across boundaries whether they are musical, geographical, spiritual. Expressed another way:
“Thirty years ago we started dreaming of the world we wanted to live in. It would be a kind of utopia for music: all the boundaries between composers would come down, all the boundaries between genres would come down, all the boundaries between musicians and audience would come down. Then we started trying to build it. Building a utopia is a political act – it pushes people to change. It is also an act of resistance to the things that keep us apart.” - Gordon/Lang/Wolfe
To celebrate 30 in style, Bang on a Can comes to Brooklyn with its annual incomparable super-mix of boundary-busting music from around the corner and around the world! The 2017 Bang on a Can Marathon will feature 8 hours of rare performances by some of the most innovative musicians of our time side-by-side with some of today’s most pioneering young artists.
200 Eastern Parkway
Marathon Admission: FREE with Brooklyn Museum admission
Museum admission free after 5pm (Target First Saturday)
Highlights From This Year's Stunning Collection of Works and Performers:
• Oberlin Contemporary Music Ensemble directed by Timothy Weiss, playing Dutch composer Louis Andriessen’s hard-driving Platonic masterpiece De Staat (“The Republic”), written as a commentary on the debate about the relation of music to politics
• Brooklyn’s mesmerizing steel pan band Pan in Motion playing music by composer Kendall Williams
• Hindustani all-stars Brooklyn Raga Massive paying special tribute to the Brooklyn’s Museum’s A Year of Yes with an all-female ensemble Women’s Raga Massive
• Bang on a Can co-founder and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Julia Wolfe’s folk ballad Steel Hammer, based on over 200 versions of the John Henry ballad, a quintessential American legend of the laborers that worked the railroad
• Renowned saxophonist, composer, painter, and poet Oliver Lake, co-founder of the internationally acclaimed World Saxophone Quartet
• Joan La Barbara’s A Murmuration for Chibok, which honors and keeps in the present over 250 school girls abducted in Chibok, Nigeria by Boko Haram in 2014, performed by the award-winning Young People’s Chorus of NYC, led by Francisco Nuñez
• New York’s legendary and inspirational composer-singer Meredith Monk leading the women of her acclaimed vocal ensemble in a set of shimmering a cappella pieces from her work-in-progress, Cellular Songs
• Bang on a Can’s extreme mobile ensemble Asphalt Orchestra performing music by Merrill Garbus/ tUnE-yArDs, Kim Deal/Pixies, and more
• The song-spinning duo Rabbit Rabbit, Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi
• A rare solo set by Pulitzer-prize winning composer-singer-violinist Caroline Shaw
• The distinctive and exceptional indie-guitarist Kaki King
• The ambient music world of Laraaji
• The Moroccan grooves of Brooklyn’s Innov Gnawa, exploring Mococco’s venerable gnawa music tradition
• The New York premiere of Bang on a Can co-founder Michael Gordon’s No Anthem, premiered by Ensemble Modern in 2015
• The Brooklyn premiere of David Lang’s just (after song of songs), featured in last year’s Oscar nominated film Youth by Paolo Sorrentino
• And Bang on a Can’s social engagement wing Found Sound Nation’s Street Studio, a mobile recording studio equipped for passersby and Marathon musicians alike to spontaneously create and record original music
Pledge under $30
Receive a big thank-you credit on Bang on a Can's 30th Anniversary website.
$30 or more
Receive the above plus a credit on the program of the 30th Annivesary Program!
$100 or more
Receive the above plus a signed reprint by Michael, David & Julia of the poster from the VERY FIRST Bang on a Can Marathon in 1987!!
$500 or more
Receive the above plus a signed package of all Michael Gordon, David Lang & Julia Wolfe recordings on Cantaloupe Music!!!
$1,000 or more
Receive the above plus an invitation for two to the World Premiere of Gordon-Lang-Wolfe's "ROAD TRIP" this October AND a special private reception at the home of Michael Gordon & Julia Wolfe!!!!
$5,000 or more
Receive the above plus credit as a LEAD SPONSOR of The Bang on a Can Marathon on all materials!!!!!